Looking for a laundry solution for your condo or one that can fit in a closet? Washer and dryer combos are a compact solution ideal for many small or narrow laundry spaces.
If you’re curious about washer dryer combos, also known as all-in-one washer and dryers, then this article will illustrate how they work, what features may be available and their benefits.
What is a Washer Dryer Combo?
This single unit appliance adeptly performs both washing and drying functions. They come with a smaller capacity than conventional individual washers and dryers, often ranging between 1.5-5 cubic feet of interior space.
- The average capacity of a full-size front load washer is 5 to 5.8 cubic feet.
- The average capacity of a dryer is 7 to 7.4 cubic feet.
One key difference is that a full wash/dry cycle with a washer dryer combo usually takes longer than it would with a separate washer and dryer. Combination units require anywhere from 3 hours to 8-10 hours.
Cycle times depend on the following:
- What you are washing
- Size of the load
- The cycles selected
- The dryness level selected
PRO TIP: Consider your laundry space, the size of your household and how often you do laundry to determine if a washer dryer combo can work for you.
How Does a Washer and Dryer Combo Work?
All-in-one washer dryers tend to be ventless. Here is how they work:
Hot air gets recycled and then moved through the drum via the combined effort of a heater and a fan.
Moisture evaporates from clothes and condenses on the tub.
Water is drained to the bottom before being pumped out.
What Are the Benefits of a Washer Dryer Combo?
Owners can enjoy a handful of benefits with an all-in-one washer dryer. Remember that some of these benefits are determined by the brand and model you have.
- A strong option for condos, small laundry rooms or if you want to install in a bathroom or closet
- A flexible option because they are typically ventless and do not require an outside/external venting connection
- Compact design
- Can be installed with a laundry pedestal for additional height and storage
- Enjoy doing laundry in fewer steps compared to using a separate washer and dryer
- No transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer
- Can run cycles overnight
PRO TIP: Washer dryer combos can be installed virtually anywhere.
Many of these features are available in most all-in-one models. You need to decide which features can help you tackle your laundry needs.
- Multiple wash and dry cycles, such as sanitize cycles, utilize extra-hot drying temperatures or water temperatures to tackle a high percentage of everyday household bacteria.
- Wrinkle prevention cycles tumble the load at the end of the dry cycle (often with no heat added) from time to time. This helps prevent any wrinkles from setting.
- Automatic detergent and fabric softener dispensing are designed to help save time by calculating how much detergent is needed so you always use the right amount.
- Steam Cycles use water and heat to release wrinkles without having to rewash items. Also, it can help eliminate odours and remove lighter stains.
- Load sensors sense the size of the load and then determine which are the right settings to use.
- Smart features enable you to connect to your appliance through your smartphone and/or tablet. This means that you can monitor the stage of the cycle even when you’re not home.
If you’re trying to turn a small area into a convenient and useful laundry space, don’t sweat it because you may have a strong option with a washer dryer combo that offers performance, functionality and convenience.