If you’re looking to reinvent your kitchen, you may want a stunning built-in refrigerator to maximize the visual impact. One option might be a column refrigerator and/or a column freezer, which offer the possibility of customization and can further the look and feel of the space while providing the functionality your household needs.
This article offers an overview of column refrigerators and freezers, so you can determine if these models are ideal for your kitchen.
What is a Column Refrigerator?
A column unit is a general term that typically applies to a single-purpose, full-size unit. This can include a full-unit refrigerator, full-unit freezer, or full-unit wine cellar, among others.
Benefits of Column Refrigerators and Column Freezers
Column refrigerators and column freezers offer a number of benefits in addition to their sleek and modern look.
Installation Location: Column units must be installed based on the specifics of a kitchen space.
Generally speaking, column installation is considered to be relatively easy. Units can be installed side by side or you can install them separately in different locations in your kitchen.
Customizable Size: Compared to traditional side-by-side refrigerator models, columns offer a high level of customizability. You can select both the size of your refrigerator and your freezer.
Flush Installation: Units can be installed into the existing cabinetry of a kitchen. This allows you to achieve a fluid and integrated look.
Feel and Finish: These tend to be higher-end units that are often costlier. When shopping for a column, pay attention to features like soft-close doors, gliding crispers, multiple temperature zones, internal water dispenser, sturdy bins, and shelves. One approach is to choose the features you want and then set a budget.
Popular Features Found in Column Refrigerators
Column refrigerators offer a suite of innovative features:
- Ample and convenient storage – Column refrigerators let you enjoy more storage capacity. Select from several widths, so you can find the capacity that best suits your needs.
- Location – You don’t have to install column units together. You can install your refrigerator in one convenient location and your freezer in another.
- Luxurious features – Sturdy bins, soft-close-doors, gliding crispers and shelves offer a mix of functionality and style. Certain manufacturers may offer additional features, such as a stainless interior, LED lighting and multiple temperature zones.
- Connected – Certain column refrigerators use Wi-Fi to connect to smart devices. This allows owners to monitor and adjust refrigerator and freezer temperatures, track if their water filter needs to be replaced and also receive important alerts and notifications.
- Seamless design – Handle-free columns can be easily opened and contribute to the overall integrated look of a kitchen.
- Small space solution – Galley kitchens and many kitchens in urban areas won’t allow for a 48” side-by-side fridge. Not to worry, though, because column refrigerators offer a variety of cabinet-depth options for smaller kitchens.
- Interiors that allow food to be displayed as vibrant art.
- Ecliptic lighting – Help illuminate items more dramatically.
- Trinity cooling – Command temperatures and humidity in each zone.
- Divinity freezing – Control temperatures in various zones throughout the refrigerator.
- Solid glass & metal – Typically, thick, naturally odour-resistant solid glass.
- Emotive controls – Customize every zone to your desires.
Harness the Power of Connectivity With a Column Refrigerator
There are several potential benefits to a connected column refrigerator:
- Remotely adjust and monitor your refrigerator and freezer temperatures.
- Track the life of your water filter.
- Get alerted if your refrigerator or freezer door has been left open.
Is a Column Refrigerator Right for You?
Hopefully you now have a better idea of what column refrigerators are, their features and benefits and if they are the right fit for your kitchen and household.