Table of Contents
Comparison of Top vs. Front Load Washers
- Top Load Washer: Depending on your height and the height of the washer, it may be harder to reach the bottom with top loaders.
- Front Load Washer: Front loaders require more bending over, but there is a solution: In many instances, laundry pedestals can be purchased to elevate your appliance, making it easier to load and unload. Pedestals can also provide extra storage for detergent and fabric softener.
- Top Load Washer: Top loaders open from the top. Impellers or an agitator drive the wash action. Matching dryers open from the front, not the top.
- Front Load Washer: Front loader doors swing open from the front. Matching washers and dryers can stack to save space.
- Top Load Washer: Top loader controls are located on the top back.
- Front Load Washer: Front loader controls are located on the top front.
- While front load washers may seem more spacious due to the absence of an agitator or impeller, both top and front load washers are available in various sizes. Capacities range from around 4 to 6 cubic feet and vary based on price.
- Top Load Washer: Many top loaders tend to use lower amounts of water, to meet standards for efficiency, and use higher detergent concentrations. Some models allow you to use more water, depending on the cycle.
- Front Load Washer: Front loaders that use HE (high-efficiency) detergent use less water, which means concentrated cleaning. As a result, you generally won’t have to use as much detergent.
Considering a front load washer?
Explore your options from Whirlpool and Maytag brands to start your search.
Advances in Efficiency with Front Load Washers
Longer wash times and using fewer gallons of water provide front loaders with high efficiency. Unlike the agitators of top loaders, front loader washing machines clean clothing items by moving them against one another, helping to fight stains and soils. You can also save space by stacking a front load washer and dryer.
Convenience in Design Considerations for Top Loading Models
True and tried favourties.
Check out these top load washers from Whirlpool and Maytag brands that can make a great fit for many households.
This device mounted in the center of the washing machine’s drum stands vertical, acting as a post that moves during a cycle to clean clothing items. It helps rub against the clothes, creating friction to fight stains and soils. Though agitators are typically thought to be aggressive on clothing, new technology has made them more gentle.