How to Clean the Inside of a Microwave
You might not even be able to see it at first, but grime will accumulate. Preferably, at least once a week, try following these steps on how to clean the inside of the microwave:
- You’ll need 250ml (1 cup) of warm water in a microwave-safe container. Add some mild dish soap or, alternatively, vinegar and a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Put the container in the microwave and run it on high power for 3-5 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes before opening the microwave door.
- Finally, use a sponge or paper towels to wipe down the inside of the microwave.
How to Deodorize a Microwave
Microwaving just one bag of burnt popcorn or a microwavable frozen pizza can create a smell seemingly impossible to eliminate. But there is a way to deodorize your microwave. Here’s the best course of action:
- In a microwave-safe container, mix 250ml (1 cup) of water with lemon juice, lime juice, or vinegar.
- Heat it up on high in the microwave for 3-5 minutes.
- Use a sponge or paper towels to wipe down the oven and let it air out for a while afterwards.
How to Wash a Microwave Turntable
The turntable in your microwave is best cleaned separately. And if you don’t clean the spills regularly, they can only become harder to clean. Here’s a proper way to clean the microwave turntable:
- Ensure that your turntable is cool. A hot turntable could shatter when submerged in water.
- You can also put the turntable in the dishwasher, but it’s probably a better idea to wash it by hand with a mild soap.
- Dry the turntable with paper towels or a clean cloth and put it back in the microwave right away. Never use your microwave without the turntable.
How to Clean the Outside of a Microwave
The inside of your microwave oven might be spotless, but that doesn’t mean you want to neglect the exterior. The little smudges, grease stains, and fingermarks can add up. But not if you know how to clean the microwave on the outside:
- If your microwave has a control lock, use it to prevent accidental activation of the buttons. If not, you can leave the door unlocked and it’ll disable the motor.
- A mild dish soap or window cleaner makes a great cleaning solution. Use a piece of paper towel or clean cloth to gently wipe the outside of your microwave.
- Finally, use a dry cloth or more paper towels to dry off the exterior.
Cleaning Steps Based on Different Scenarios
If you have a particularly greasy microwave door, do this:
- Add some vinegar to a container of warm water and use it to gently clean the window part of the door. Repeat several times until spotless.
- For the most stubborn grease stains, you can use a commercial grease-cutting detergent.