What Causes Pilling on Your Clothing?
Preventing and Removing Those Pesky "Pills"
1. Start Preventative Measures Immediately
2. Protect Your Clothes in the Washing Machine
- Keep heavier fabrics from damaging lighter ones in the washing machine by sorting them beforehand. Try to only wash heavy fabrics with other heavy fabrics and light fabrics with other light fabrics
- Be careful not to overload your washing machine, as an overfull load can increase friction between clothes
- You can also place delicate or vulnerable items in a mesh laundry bag to further protect them from friction. These bags are available in a lot of different sizes, which makes them great for washing pilling-susceptible clothing
Finally, it’s always a good idea to choose the gentlest cycle possible on your washing machine for clothes prone to pilling. Use cold water whenever possible, and consider hand-washing your problem clothes if necessary.